Saturday, March 21, 2015

Strategies for Effective Communication

     The questions posed to the class this week had us evaluating whether we communicate differently with different cultures of people, and if so, in what ways? I thought about these questions during the week, and it made me aware of my actions and conversations.
     When I am in class with my co-workers, we work in sync and require little communication because we are so familiar and comfortable with each other. When interacting with the parents of my class, I can be blunt and sarcastic with some because they appreciate my humor. Others I am more reserved with, sensing through body language that they do not want to get as personal.
    Running errands today, I became engaged in a conversation with a woman on line in front of me who was dressed in traditional Indian clothing. Remembering the Platinum Rule, "treat others as they would like to be treated (Beebe & Beebe, 2011)," I refrained from commenting on her clothing. As an American, I would like to be complimented on what I was wearing, but I didn't know if she would feel uncomfortable with the attention.
     At the gym this morning, I avoided asking an older gentleman (my age) how to use the equipment he was using because I didn't want him to think I was being forward, so I waited until a young guy was on it.     
     I feel my communication skills are mature enough to be adapted to these situations. But to communicate on a professional level with cultures I am not familiar with, I would employ the following strategies:
     1) Listen with attention and concern.
     2) Search for similarities or common ground with which to bring a comfort level to the
           relationship.
     3) Suspend judgment.
     4) Be aware of any nonverbal behavior, and recognize my own, controlling it if necessary.
     5) Smile and be sincere.

Reference:

Beebe, S.A., Beebe, S.J., & Redmond, M.V. (2011). Interpersonal communication: Relating to others (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.

 .

3 comments:

  1. It is vital to understand communication skills to realize different situations and have the wisdom to make the right decisions for consequences of situations depending on the choices children grow mature enough to adapt to different circumstances. It also helps to provide a curriculum to develop good communication skills with both cross-cultural expertise and language skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee
    Your description you give of how you work with your coworker sounds like a good team. It is as if you can read each other’s mind and move in the classroom like a dance. The team I work with we have that relationship and we can share the good and the bad, but we are always there to support each other. I also have people I work with that do not respond well to the comradery my team has so we know we have to adapt the way we interact with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is great that you are using the platinum rule in your everyday life. If we were all to apply this platinum rule to our everyday lives the world would be a better place and our children would grow up watching this and applying it to the way they communicate as well.

    ReplyDelete