Thursday, February 26, 2015

Awareness of the realities of bias

Throughout this course, it has been recognized by a large number of my colleagues and myself just how blind many of us are to the biases, oppressions and aggressions that are happening all around us. I can only assume that many of the families I come in contact with are similarly ignorant. It is my hope that the generation of children growing up now will embrace diversity, not just tolerate it.

Early on in the course, I began to have a feeling of obligation to expose myself to a more diverse community. However, I am making it a goal to remain in the community of my dominant culture and enlighten the families I serve about the realities of microaggressions and internalized oppression. Children learn from what they see and hear from their parents; it is important that parents eyes are opened to the damage they might be unintentionally be causing.

     As a last note to my colleagues in this class, I would like to thank each and every one of you for your personal reflections and viewpoints. I enjoyed every week and looked forward to the readings, the extra videos, and our exchange of ideas. Good luck in your pursuits, and I hope to see you in future classes! Maybe at a conference for education!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment