Saturday, November 29, 2014

This website had to be bookmarked for future reference!  I was very impressed by the success it has enjoyed wholly on it's own, with no outside financial support. Being a self-sustaining non-profit organization, they avoid the risk of influence by special interest groups on the information it compiles and distributes.
    When exploring current research, I found it helpful that Journal submissions are categorized by most read, current, latest, and most cited. Browsing most read, many of the articles listed were about incorporating children into the research process, as we studied in this course. Articles such as:

  •      Research with children: three challenges for participatory research in early childhood by Tim Waller & Angeliki Bitou
  •      Introducing children's perspectives and participation in research by Deborah Harcourt & Johana Einarsdottir
  •     Listening to young citizens: the struggle to make real a participatory paradigm in research with young children by Christine Pascal & Tony Bertram
spanning from 2009 to 2011. Latest articles held a mixed listing of topics dating as recently as November 17, 2014. Current articles and most cited articles gave me an idea of what is the current trend in the early childhood field. Reading these article titles and observing the dates written, it is obvious and exciting that around the world as well as in the U.S., the importance of a strong supportive experience in the earliest years  of humans is becoming accepted fact. Our professional field is gaining respect for the expertise that it requires and the major influence it can have on a child's trajectory.  Children, with the help of the UNCRC, are becoming visible and are more involved in their own development through pedagogy of guidance rather than authoritarianism. I feel like I am getting in on the ground floor of a maturing professional field!

Reference:

European Early Childhood Education Research Association (EECERA)  Retrieved from: http://www.eecera.org/

5 comments:

  1. It is impressive that this webpage features such current information. So many of the sites out there are outdated: created but not maintained. It will be interesting to see if those in power embrace the idea of early childhood education, as so many other nations have, or continue to use it as a political buzzword without giving full financial support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Renee,
    This is great that you were able to find a website that provided so much resources and current information about Early Childhood. Thanks for sharing what you found on the websites. I will have to remember this site when looking for resourceful journal entries about early childhood field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee,

    That's true our field is gaining in importance but in my opinion not enough to bring in major reforms and change in mindset. Research is one mean in which best practices can be disseminated but I believe that this will take time to bring in major breakthroughs and reforms in early childhood education which not only concerns preschoolers but school-aged children as well until the age of eight years old. In the meantime, we still need to advocate for young children and lead the way. This is what researchers are doing. This website is indeed very interesting and offers a vast array of research topics that is worth considering. Great post!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Renee,
    I couldn't agree with you more. What an exciting time to be in the EC field. I, too, feel like we are at the beginning of a new movement worldwide to value and respect children and the early years of life in protection of the security and sustainability of society. As per your suggestion and direction, I revisited this site. It is a wonderful resource that I will visit frequently. Honestly, I was not excited about this course. My first thought was, "this is something I will probably never use in my career". However, after getting into the subject a little deeper, I realize that this is the essence of my career and the proper key to earning the respect I deserve as an EC professional. When parents come to me for advice, I have my experience, instinct and some education to fall back on which helps me form an opinion. But that's all it is...my opinion. Learning to utilize research especially on an international scale, gives validity to my arguments and moves them from the realm of opinion to proven facts, common knowledge/understanding, and verifiable, supported theories. Finally, I feel like I have a leg to stand on! I always appreciate your work, research and insights. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renee,
    I agree with your post. I enjoyed reading your post. I also picked this website for my blog. I think that we can learn a lot of information from this website in regards to early childhood field. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete