Saturday, November 8, 2014

My Personal Research Journey

     My assignment is to attempt a simulated research on a subject that interests me. Throughout my life I have been fascinated by what drives a person to hurt defenseless children or animals. I have always been a gentle, caring person who loves to love and be loved, and I am so at a loss to understand what is going through people's minds who act in a hostile manner toward anyone. My child rearing did not involve any spanking, yelling, or manipulation. The three children I raised and the many children I cared for in my home day care are happy, successful people at different stages of their lives. My goal in working with children and families is to teach people how to raise their children with my methods, and proving that corporal punishment is not necessary will work toward that goal.
     My research subject will be "Is inappropriate student behavior displayed more or less by children who experience corporal punishment at home?"
     My first general search on the web led me to a blog called "Kidjacked", which although was not a quality source for data, did provide links to every state for the most updated laws regarding corporal punishment. The copyright for Kidjacked was 2014, but the notation on updates stated the last one was November 19, 2012. Many of the links led to current information, such as National Child Abuse Defense and Resource Center, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and InnocentDads.org.(http://kidjacked.com/, N.A., 2012)
     I plan on reading whatever updated information I can find on the Pearls, a couple who wrote a book about the proper use of corporal punishment. Their philosophy came to my attention when reading a news article about the arrest of parents who caused the death of their child from following the Pearl's methods (Eckhold, 2011).

References:

Eckhold, E. (2011). Preaching Virtue of Spanking, Even as Deaths Fuel Debate. NY Times, Retrieved from: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/us/deaths-put-focus-on-pastors-advocacy-of-spanking.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Kidjacked, Retreived from: http://kidjacked.com/

THE RESEARCH CHART
     I am having difficulty with the terms in the chapter for this week, and ultimately with the chart. I want to hear from my classmates--is anyone else finding this hard to understand? I am reading it over and over, but I think I need examples to understand it.
     What are some paradigms? Are there a specific set of "beliefs?" or are they infinite? Because ontology and epistemology's definitions rely on sets of beliefs, I don't really understand them fully either. Methodology is clearer to me because it is more concrete.
     Any laymans terms out there would be greatly appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment