Thursday, March 27, 2014

THE FATHER OF SPECIAL EDUCATION--Jean Marie Gaspard Itard

The following is an excerpt from the book
 An Historical Account of the Discovery and Education of a Savage Man (Itard 1802)
which details the findings of Itard's study of the boy who had been found living in the wild woods of France with presumably no social interaction during his development. After studying and working with the child, approximately 12 years old when found, some civilazation was made but Itard was not considered successful in his efforts by most experts. Here he is trying to explain some progress with emotion:

     "For instance, if I go to his chamber, in the evening, when he is about to retire to rest, the first thing that he does is to prepare himself for my embrace; then draw me to him, by laying hold of my arm; and making me sit on his bed. Then in general he siezes my hand, draws it over his eyes, his forehead, and the back part of his head, and detains it with his own, a long time, applied to those parts.

     People may say what the please, but I will ingeniously confess, that I submit, without reluctance, to all these little marks of infantine fondness. Perhaps I shall be understood by those who consider how much effect is produced upon the mind of the infant, compliances, apparently trivial, all small marks of that tenderness which nature hath implanted in the heart of a mother; the expression of which incites the first smile, and awakens the earliest joys of life"(pp 75-76)

Retrieved from www.unz.org/Pub/ItardJean-1802.Mar 27 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment