Saturday, October 25, 2014

Learning on an International Level

     Before beginning my studies of Early Education at Walden University, I did not think beyond the scope of the world I was familiar with. From the first assignment in The Developing Child in the 21st Century by Sandra Smidt I was introduced to global issues children face that are much different than the ones the children I had taught and cared for face.
     This awareness was enlightening. To think about improving the lives and experiences of children around the world, not just here in America, was exciting. Currently going through NAEYC accreditation at my center, I find myself constantly wondering if other countries are aware of the standards we strive for.
     A consequence I have experienced is a constant comparing of America to other countries. I can get lost for immeasurable amounts of time following links from one article to the next, trying to decide: are doing better by our children or are we falling behind? As with most things, there is no exact answer when many factors come into play.
     I have developed a new appreciation for the amount of work being done in advocating for young children. Researching the many websites devoted to causes and backed by scientific research has given me hope that the future of our profession will be taken more seriously. I must do my part but am still working on how to be more effective than 8 families at a time.
     A goal of mine would be to take part in and possible even head a committee at one of the organizations introduced to me over these courses, many of which have offices in Washington, DC, such as:

Association for Childhood International
NAEYC
ZEROTOTHREE
Children's Defense Fund
Stand for Children
Save the Children

No comments:

Post a Comment