Saturday, April 19, 2014

Ethical Codes of Conduct put forth by NAEYC and DEC that stand out for me

It is difficult to narrow down three specific ideals or principles that would be any more important than the others. In the many unexpected issues that arise with this profession, each description will have its relevance and importance. I approached this assignment by reviewing my goals, and then finding those ideals that are relevant to that.
NAEYC's Code of Ethics I 2.7 states - To share information about each child's education and development with families and to help them understand and appreciate the current knowledge base of the early childhood profession.
This statement reflects my hope to help the average parent understand what children at early stages of development are thinking and feeling. I am currently offering short, readable "helpful hints" to my parents about the reasons behind their child's behavior.
NAEYC's Code of Ethics I 2.5 states - To respect the dignity and preferences of each family and to make an effort to learn about its structure, culture, language, customs, and beliefs.
I will strive to consider these aspects of a child's identity when communicating learning goals with my families.
DEC's Code of Ethics IV, section 1 states - We shall rely upon evidence based research and interventions to inform our practice with children and families in our care.
This code backs up any advice offered to parents and staff by offering documented results of professional studies.

3 comments:

  1. Renee,
    You did a wonderful job picking your ideals. You said the ideals I chose were the ones you wanted to post, but I think you were able to find even deeper meaning in the ideals this week. I really like the way you related them to your goals. NAEYC's Code of Ethics I 2.5 was what caught my eye. It is a very hard ideal to meet and we have to find new ways to meet it each week, because we serve many different families. Again great post Renee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee, I think you took a great approach to choosing your ideals. I completely agree with your first ideal. It is extremely important to share a child's education with the parents. It is ALL a team effort to help better the child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee, I enjoyed reading your post. I love that you give the parents little bits of information to help understand their child better and back it up with research. In my experience parents tend to be apprehensive in listening and learning when the information about their child is not something positive, backing it up with professional studies the first time the issue is brought up is something I will def. be incorporating in my work.

    ReplyDelete